Thursday, June 3, 2021

If you care, they will learn!

I was a substitute teacher for YEARS!  I adapted to the teaching styles of those teachers every time I did a long term sub position.  What I learned by subbing was so valuable because I could take all their teaching styles, see which ones worked the best, create some of my own, and use it in my own classroom.  One style of teaching that I observed to be most effective to have students behave and become motivated in their own learning is building student relationships.  Here are some steps to use to build those student relationships...

6 Strategies for Building Better Student Relationships

I would say #5 is the main key in building those relationships.  In every classroom I have taught in, this has proven to be true.  It is not just in elementary school, this concept is still true for high school students too.  In How to Differentiate Instruction by Carol Ann Tomlinson it concurs that: "Most students need to feel cared about before they will care about academics" (pg. 39).  I see a change in my students when they feel that the classroom is a safe place for them.  They start to be a little more brutally honest but they also start to grow, come out of their shell, and bloom.  To continue to have my students bloom, I use a differentiated instruction model so my students can learn at the same time, in their own way, and reach their own potential.



Differentiated Instruction is a difficult concept to adapt in teaching at first but I just takes baby steps to get it down.  I have had many teachers ask me: "what can I do with the advanced students in the classrooms that finish early?"  I tell them, this is why we differentiate.  And then I get a blank stare.  And the next questions is usually, "how do I do that?"  This is not just a 30 second solution I can give as we pass in the hallway.  It's a method that needs to be integrated into the teaching style.  Teachers feel like it's overwhelming to differentiated but "Differentiation doesn't suggest that a teacher can be all things to all individuals all the time.  It does, however, mandate that a teacher create a reasonable range of approaches to learning much of the time, so that most students find learning a fit much of the time" (pg. 35).  Teachers are already using all the instructional models like direct instruction, cooperative learning, inquiry based learning, etc.  We need to change it up so students can learn in different ways so one way will be a perfect fit for one student and another instructional model might be a perfect fit for another student.  

When I plan my lessons this is where I've learned to differentiate.  I think of each student and how this lesson will impact them.  Where can I extend their thinking, how much time will this group need, should I hold a small group after my direct instruction?  Like in the book How to Differentiate Instruction we need to look through the eyes of  the advanced learners, learners who struggle, English language learners, and learners "in the middle" (pg.14).  


Differentiated Instruction

I focus on the advanced learners.  Since we meet in small groups I still go through these steps and differentiate because even though they are identified as gifted and talented.  Each student learns differently and that includes gifted students.

With my gifted students I put an emphasis on growth mindset.  We have lessons to teach my students that failing is ok, it's part of learning.  These students are so use to having all the right answers in class that when they do fail, it's difficult for them to keep going, it can be crushing.  I want my students to: "fail to reach self-efficacy...stretching yourself to achieve a goal you thought was beyond your reach" (Tomlinson, 21).  This is an introductory video I share with my students every year for growth mindset.


Another part of Differentiating is to create a certain environment in the classroom.  In Tomlinson's book it mentions strategies for managing a differentiated classroom.  One is to study your students, which I mentioned earlier.  Another one, that is important to me, is to make sure this happens in my gifted and talented groups is to give students as much responsibility for their learning (pg. 72).  This goes with their growth mindset too.  They can fail as many times necessary to find success and in that process they have taken their learning upon themselves, they have taken on responsibility that they want to learn this, they have that motivation.  I have seen this take place when my students are working on an inquiry based project or various other forms of projects.  In Invent to Learn by Sylvia Martinez and Gary Stager, Ph.D., they suggest 8 elements of a good project.  One of them is "connection".  The student and the project have that connection where the student is involved in their own learning, not matter how much time has passed the result is their interest in learning (pg. 72).

I know my students love to learn when it is something that interests them.  But they need that differentiation and relationship with their teacher.  I know teachers who struggle with differentiating instruction because they think it will create too much work.  But it can be done!  Start making those small changes that you think you can do in your lesson planning.  You will start to see how you can adapt to each students needs within the lesson as time and practice go on.  I'm not an expert on differentiation but I continue to work on mine and it's getting better each time.


References

Instructional Methods, Strategies and Technologies to Meet the Needs of All Learners.  Granit State College. https://granite.pressbooks.pub/teachingdiverselearners/chapter/differentiated-instruction-2/ 

Martinez, Sylvia Libow, & Stager, Gary Ph.D. Invent to Learn.  Construction Modern Knowledge Press, CA.  2019.

Tomlinson, Carol Ann. How to Differentiate Instruction.  ASCD, VA.  2017.

Woodard, Cecily.  6 Strategies for Building Student Relationships.  Edutopia.  August 7, 2019.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joann, I'm Trevor
    This is a great informative post. I love your declaration that you are "a gifted and talented teacher". I may even steal it as an affirmation for here in Chile as well.
    I also really liked the growth mindset instruction you give. I was ignorant about that concept until this year. After I learned about it here at NNU, I taught it to my wife and teenaged son and daughter. It has definitely changed the dinner table conversation about grades and education. I now believe it is one of the most important lessons we should be teaching and reinforcing with our language.
    I want to give you a great quote which I am stealing from Jordan from a different post. It also applied to me and it applies to your work as well.
    "I was a bit distracted by a few mechanical errors, like run-on sentences or punctuation issues. Have you accessed Grammarly with your NNU account? As students of NNU, we get free premium access to Grammarly! It is one of the greatest tools we have access to! If you will run your text through their website (I suggest copying and pasting your text into their website, reviewing the corrections and accepting those that you feel are the best fit) and then copy and paste it back into your blog, it will take care of the formatting distractions and communicate your message to the reader more fluently! To do this, go to the Grammarly for education website https://www.grammarly.com/edu and select the Join Your Organization button in the top right corner. Then log in with your NNU email address. The rest is cake!"
    Thanks for such a comprehensive post and well linked blog.
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete

https://teachagiftedkid.com/

Tinkering

 I have been thinking about tinkering lately.  My advanced students are currently working on their passion projects (some call it genius hou...